Book Review - Arclight ~ Josin L. McQuein


A very busy schedule hasn't allowed me as much time to read as I would like, but now that my last assignment is out of the way, I snapped up the chance to read a book I have been dying to pick up. Dying at first, because of the beautiful, shiny, colourful cover. Dying now, because the story sounds amazing!



Amazon.com description:

The Arclight is the last refuge in a post-apocalyptic world consumed by terrifying monsters called the Fade. No one crosses the wall of light that keeps the last human survivors safe. There's nothing else left and nowhere to go. Or so they thought, until Marina, a lone teenage girl, stumbles out of the Dark. 
Marina doesn't remember who she is, where she came from, or how she survived. And the Fade want her back. When one of them infiltrates the compound and recognizes Marina, she begins to unlock secrets she didn't even know she had. Marina knows she's an outsider in the Arclight, but she'll do anything to protect those who saved her. Whether they want her help or not.


Sounds amazing, right? 

Josin has a great blog- see my sidebar on the right for awesome YA blogs- and seems like a pretty cool person. She has a unique voice and this translates to Arclight, where you instantly pick up on that voice and connect with the main character, Marina. Marina starts out confused and isolated from the others in the Arclight. She has no memory of where or who she was prior to being found. You feel very attached to her from the first moment, and you're right alongside her as she tries to discover what happened, and why the Fade want her so badly. 

Like any good YA with a leading lady, there are boys- oh yes, who doesn't love a good love triangle. This one is quite unique though, I like the way it's presented and you really feel the tension inside Marina as she processes her feelings. Tobin sounds like a dish though, I would totally choose him. 
The only trouble I had while reading was visualising what the Fade look like. There were so many descriptions and so many weird and wonderful things going on that sometimes I struggled to hold a picture in my mind. It's just so different from any YA book I've read, but that's a good thing. 

The book is fast-paced and starts off with a bang, straight into the action and this pulls you in until you can't put the book down. It's Sci-Fi, which I haven't read a lot of, and this book makes me want to read more. I will be interested to see what happens in the next one, the book was wrapped up with a neat little bow at the end, so I was surprised to see that there would be another... but honestly, this world is unique and fulfilling and you will come away wanting to hear more about it. Do I recommend it? With a big fat YES! Four bright and shiny stars out of five.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Twitter Updates

Followers